Sunday, February 22, 2009

Getting On the Ball

In the few months I have been going to the gym, I have met some friendly 'regulars'. They make it fun to go by sharing lifting tips, dieting tips, and encouraging me to do more. This last Wednesday I received some new tips from a regular that I hadn't spoken with much (by the way they were really helpful). Then he stood in front of some kind of apparatus that one would use to do squats and pull ups. It has three sides, one in front, and one on each side slightly angled away from the first. Facing the first, he held firmly to the sides and very slowly, one foot at a time he stood up on an exercise ball. Concentrating, he let go with his hands, but kept them up knowing he would need the support. He made it look easy! As I watched he confessed it was very fatiguing. It took every muscle in the body to keep his balance and stay on the ball. If you want to try it, to begin on your knees and work up to standing.

I found this to be a parallel to life....

Life is a balancing act. It takes every effort to keep from tipping to one side or another.
It is very important to place your feet in just the right place to keep you on center. Be sure you are doing enough in all the areas of your life that need attention: Devotion to God, relationships with family members, being productive part of your communities, keeping up with daily livelyhood responsibilities, consistently educating yourself in good things.... If you need to re-adjust, you have to reach out for support. Our three sided support are God, family, friends. This can only be possible where there is a foundation close around you start from, and refer to constantly.
Balance is hard, but fully achievable. What ever your ball consists of, be sure to start on your knees in humility and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment